The Expected Schoolwide Learning Results (ESLRs) at BFS have been revised and are now simpler, clearer, and easier to measure. The BFS ESLRs represent the summative skills and characteristics that we believe are most important for students to develop by the time they graduate.
The official launch was Wednesday, April 6, 2016 with a video presentation made by Mr. Hellman’s fifth grade class and a visit from Sharky who distributed a pencil set to all students. Students and teachers also have t-shirts with the new ESLRs to wear on spirit days.
The ESLR revision process began in the fall of 2015 when students, parents, and teachers were surveyed to identify the qualities that students should have upon graduating from BFS. Compiling the survey results was a team effort over several months. The new ESLRs are now organized into five categories — which spell out SHARK!
The new Expected Schoolwide Learning Results (ESLRs) are:
S – Socially Conscious: Be caring!
- Demonstrate an ability to work in individual and group settings
- Gain an understanding and appreciation of various cultures
- Demonstrate ethical social and academic behaviors
- Develop an awareness for being inclusive of others and different opinions
H – Hardworking Achievers: Be your best!
- Formulate and pursue goals as lifelong learners
- Value every life situation as a learning experience
- Practice healthy personal, lifelong behaviors
- Develop a persistence and diligence to achieve quality work
A – Articulate Communicators: Be an active listener!
- Communicate clearly and accurately in English
- Develop confidence to communicate and share ideas
- Listen and respond constructively when collaborating with others
- Engage and inspire positivity in others
R – Respectful Citizens: Be responsible for yourself and others!
- Become responsible citizens with an understanding for respect and diversity
- Demonstrate positive and caring attitudes
- Caring for the safety and welfare of self and others
- Exhibit self-motivation and self-discipline and accept individual and group responsibility
K – Knowledgeable Critical Thinkers: Be a problem solver!
- Develop critical thinking skills and the ability to logically reason
- Analyze, synthesize, and evaluate information so that those ideas can be applied in a variety of different contexts
- Develop and apply problem solving strategies to real-life situations
- Be innovative by developing creative solutions
These new SHARK ESLRs represent the BFS motto “Embracing Diversity, Striving for Excellence.” Busan Foreign School encourages students, teachers, and parents/guardians to work as a community of learners, fostering the traits of a true SHARK. Each of these SHARK ESLRs has indicators which students can demonstrate in the classroom, through extracurricular clubs and activities, and in their personal interactions. The new SHARK ESLRs will be used to identify students for the Student of the Month/Quarter awards.
As part of the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) accreditation requirements, usage of Common Core academic standards, and curricula we will ensure that all students achieve these new SHARK ESLRs. This will be achieved by all BFS teachers utilizing the SHARK ESLRs in instruction and assessment. At the beginning of the 2016-17 school year these new ESLRS will be posted in all classrooms and on the walls throughout BFS.
Check the ESLR videos here! they were created by the 5th grade class
by Lauren Harvey – ESL department